Grocery Scouting

January 28, 2013

Do you associate a candy with your parents?  I so strongly associate Junior Mints with my mother.  She always always had a box in her handbag when I was growing up.  So when I saw these heart shaped Junior Mints at the Paper Source in Brooklyn, I instantaneously knew I would be sending some to her for Valentines day.

PS I associate my father with Krackel bars (he would keep them in the freezer).

Andrea January 28, 2013 at 5:56 pm

My mom always had the orange pumpkin face taffy in the fall. She would hide them where the cookie sheets were filed.

Emme January 28, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Jelly bellys. But she wouldn’t stop to look at the flavors or make particular combinations. She’d just eat them by the handful.

heather January 28, 2013 at 9:56 pm

My dad is from Ireland and ALWAYS asked for cadbury’s fruit and nut bars when I was growing up. Now See’s candies are his thing. But these two are so him: the early years and the later years.

Camille January 29, 2013 at 4:50 pm

My mom & Charleston Chews – we would put them in a freezer and crack them with the meat tenderizer. Now that the mini sizes are out, she’s in heaven.

joanna goddard January 30, 2013 at 1:27 pm

My dad = Sausalito cookies from Pepperidge Farms. We used to all go on an adventure to the grocery store to get them.

My mom = Cadbury Flakes, the british flakey chocolate bar that you stick into an ice cream cone.

Fun question:)

evencleveland January 30, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Bit ‘O Honey or Blackjack gum for my mom; Paydays for my dad.

As an aside: have you tried the rare and awesome candy cane Junior Mints? YUM.

Abbey January 30, 2013 at 10:19 pm

OMG I love all of these! Paydays! Sausalito cookies! See’s candies!

Joanna — your dad’s sausalito cookies made me think of my sister — she LOVED mint milanos from Pepperidge farms.

Necia February 15, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Dad; smarties or necco
Mom; hot tamales

now I want some candy…

brandy February 15, 2013 at 1:04 pm

My mom was all about the Junior Mints. You know, I don’t remember what my Dad liked.

Natalie February 15, 2013 at 1:18 pm

I love this! I can’t look at an Almond Joy without thinking of my dad. Same goes for my mom and Sixlets. I’d be curious to know if they affiliate a certain candy with me.

Elisa February 15, 2013 at 1:37 pm

My mom loved Kit Kats… my dad was not really a candy kind of guy…his treats are always pickled. ;)

Megan Ranegar February 15, 2013 at 3:17 pm

My mom loves Chuckles! And I love that about her.

Lexie February 15, 2013 at 3:57 pm

My step-dad is the only person I’ve ever met with a die hard passion for Whoppers malted milk balls!!! :) My mom loves plain m+ms!

Katy February 15, 2013 at 4:30 pm

My mom loves jordan almonds. Always, I remember her reading in bed at night as a child, and she would eat one at a time, slowly eating the candy shell off, making a bag last ages. She still loves them!
My dad always liked cherry cordials. He was a little taken aback when I ordered him a 10-lb box from Amazon a couple years ago for his birthday. I think he may still have some of them…haha!

Margaret February 15, 2013 at 5:43 pm

My mom: candy corn and spearmint leaves (random combo there!!!)
My dad: HERSHEY’S chocolate (plain, kiss, Mr. Goodbar, or Krackel. Not dark). Not Nestle, not Godiva, not Lindt, not even fancy stuff straight off the plane from Belgium or Switzerland – Hershey’s is his favorite! I too am a chocoholic but prefer organic dark chocolate, preferably with raisins and nuts…I am much more of a chocolate snob I guess – but I will still eat Hershey’s if it’s the only thing around!! Love this post, thanks!

Heather February 15, 2013 at 6:24 pm

My mom would eat Sunkist Fruit Gems all the time, and my dad had this peculiar habit of taking a piece of Doublemint and a piece of Big Red gum and rolling them together. He’d get mad if I wanted a piece of one or the other because it would throw off his ratio! He still chews mint and cinnamon gum together, but now it’s sugar free.

Catherine February 15, 2013 at 7:33 pm

That is so great. I saw these at The Paper Source and bought 8 packs! My mom’s go to treat was Junior Mints throughout my childhood. These are the perfect reminder of home.

Julie February 15, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Lolly bananas! We still buy them for my dad even though he is 66!

Jesse February 15, 2013 at 8:23 pm

my mother always always had wintergreen life savers!

Maiz February 16, 2013 at 12:01 am

My dad’s were Abba-Zabas and my mom’s were Wrigley’s Spearmint Gum. Fun to think about… I don’t think either of them enjoy these candies any more, but they did when I was a kid.

maggie February 16, 2013 at 12:34 am

My Mom has always loved Smarties ..and Rolos. My Dad used to LOVE Candied Raisins. Anyone familiar with those? They had a yellow and white package with a sun shine on it. They are not made anymore and I’m always hoping to stumble upon them to surprise him with!

jennycash February 16, 2013 at 1:06 am

my mom – good & plenty
my dad – green breathsavers and blue certs

Polly Rowan February 16, 2013 at 7:09 am

My Dad always liked Sherbet Lemons from his childhood. And my Mum just loves any chocoloate – usually Galaxy or Dairy Milk!

cianne February 16, 2013 at 11:15 am

mom- hot tamales. she still has a bowl of them in her living room and at her office.
dad- loved junior mints. I remember him buying them whenever we went to the movie theatre.

May February 16, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Butter Fingers, Father
Bull’s Eyes, Mother

nancy February 17, 2013 at 10:23 am
{gemmifer} February 17, 2013 at 9:31 pm

What a fun discussion! She didn’t eat them often, but I’ll always think of my mom when I see a Necco Sky Bar (usually ends up in me eating one) and my dad when I see a Goldenberg’s Peanut Chew. There are many other sweet treats that I associate with my parents, but these were the first that came to mind.

Heather February 18, 2013 at 9:34 am

My mom was from Boston. I grew up in TX. When we would visit my grandmother in Boston, my mom would turn into a kid, buying up all her old fave candies: Charleston Chews, Necco wafers, Nibs, witches hats and licorice pipes. As a kid, I was like, ” Score!” on these trips, because my mom bought a ton. (This was before these candies made a comeback in the aisles of Target and Walgreens)

Jessica February 19, 2013 at 12:53 pm

My dad was totally Whoppers. He kept a huge carton in the cabinet above our microwave (to tall for my sister or I to reach on our own). My mom only liked red m&ms, so I would always save her the red ones from my bag.

lindsay February 19, 2013 at 2:17 pm

yes!!! my mom to this day always has a box of hot tamales in the medicine cupboard. I always think of my dad when I see good & plenty, m&m’s (he keeps them in the fridge), and of course Reese’s…and many more, as you can see my dad has a bit of a sweet tooth!! lol

Caitlin March 6, 2013 at 9:02 am

Whate a nice question, such a feel of nostalgia and happy memories from everyone.

My mom is obsessed with Peanut M&M’s, which she claims she gets for us, but then hides and eats herself :)

My dad loves the Hershey mini’s assorted bags and Spearmint gum!