Read This!

June 27, 2012

Up on the Roof by Alex MacLean made me euphoric; Tim saw it on my desk (also known as the dining room table) and read the book cover to cover one morning.  The photos are hypnotic and voyeuristic and offer a brand new vision of life in this metropolis.

From the Princeton Architectural Press website:

For over thirty years, trained architect-turned photographer/ pilot Alex MacLean has documented the American landscape from the air. His remarkable photographs capture the surreal beauty of the visual patterns formed by the intersection of natural and constructed environments. In Up on the Roof, MacLean directs his lens at the rarely seen “top floor” of New York City and reveals a hidden world of amazing complexity, diversity, and life. Alongside the city’s famous water towers are pools, sunbathers, tennis courts, art, restaurants, gardens, and solar panels. MacLean’s photographs leave little doubt about New York City’s “green” potential and the belief that improved outdoor spaces above lead to more livable cities below. Maps and captions help the reader to easily identify the photographs. Whether you are new to the city native born, this fascinating look at hidden New York will be a revelation.

Stefania @ Revitalize with Stefania June 27, 2012 at 11:24 am

Living in NYC is probably out of the cards for us, but an apartment with rooftop access would be perfect. I could forgo a lot of amenities for that.

CIA June 28, 2012 at 9:53 am

Thanks for posting this… seriously want, need, must have this book! Is it a huge coffee table type of book, or something smaller/more manageable? Not that I really care, as it just sounds so fantastic. The cover sells it to me for sure!

Abbey June 30, 2012 at 11:49 am

CIA — it is a coffee table book — I will post more pictures soon! Price on Amazon is much cheaper than on the publisher’s website.

Charlotte Wilder July 6, 2012 at 11:32 am

Alex MacLean is from Lincoln, MA, the same town as I am! He’s a great guy, and so talented. Love this post.

Johanna July 13, 2012 at 2:24 am

Alex is my Uncle! So glad to see him on your blog. He’s an incredible talent and a great person. All of his books are amazing!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CTgCY8APJOY July 31, 2013 at 6:45 am

It’s really a nice and helpful piece of information. I am satisfied that you just shared this useful info with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.