A New York Love Story

June 26, 2012

My best friend Nancy left New York in the beginning of June and I’m pretty devastated.  I temper my devastation with the knowledge that Nancy and her family (Danish husband Dan and two beautiful children Oskar and Olympia) are currently on an epic cross-country pilgrimage to find the right place for them to live (maybe someplace like Decorah, Iowa).  Nancy is blogging about their adventures at The Great Skedaddle. Today I want to share the story of the beginning of our friendship.

I moved to NYC in 2004. I was 25 and living in a rental on the Upper East Side I had sublet from a wanna-be actor who had moved to LA. What can I tell you but there were mirrors and headshots everywhere. Mirrors over the bed, in front of the bed, behind the bed and I couldn’t open the closet or dresser without a smug photo of the guy popping out.

It was cheap and it was safe but I was lonely.

I remember walking home to 92nd street from my office at 42nd Street because I didn’t have anywhere to be or anyone to see.  I would stop into Bloomingdales at 59th street and ride the escalator just to be with other people. It was also around this time that on weekends I would walk to the Metropolitan Museum and just sit in the wooden benches in the Great Hall. I wouldn’t go into the actual museum; I don’t know if I didn’t have the money or the energy or maybe both.  I didn’t seem to have a way into the delights of this city; I was an outsider on the outside, an observer.  I did a lot of people watching.

Then, my sublet was up and I was looking for another affordable room.  I trekked all over the city; I remember the nun-like woman in her 40s who smelled of baby powder in a beautiful but sterile two bedroom in Yorkville.  I remember a sort of grease-y guy looking for two roommates on Orchid Street downtown. He took notes the whole time a couple of us looked around his dark apartment with narrow windows like something you’d find in a castle.

Then the miracle happens.  I read Nancy’s craiglist ad for a room in basement of her carriage house.  You could see a sliver of greenery through the window in one of the photos. I was hooked from the first. There was only one hitch: she lived in Brooklyn.

I want to impress upon you that at this time I was pretty overwhelmed by the size of the city. In six months of living in NYC, I hadn’t traveled to the west side of Manhattan. This was the time before smart phones or if there were smart phones they were waayyyyy out of my budget.  So I would print out a map from Yahoo before I went anywhere new and cut it down to the 5 inch by 5 inch little map that comes at the end of Yahoo directions and keep it in my wallet for when I inevitably got lost. I didn’t know a single person who lived in Brooklyn; in fact I only knew one person in the city.

So think about what it meant for me to go see an apartment in Brooklyn when I didn’t travel west of 5th avenue, let alone leave Manhattan.  It was an epic leap of faith; of desperation; of the universe guiding me onwards.

I remember the walk from the Court Street station in the snow. It was dark as I walked down Pineapple Street and then down Cadman Plaza.  The lights of the city glowed across the river; it was magical; it was terrifying.  I slogged past the Watchtower building and knocked on a grey door with the paint peeling.  Nancy opened the door into the garden courtyard.  The lights of her row house were a beacon behind her.  I’d never met anyone quite like Nancy. She was so certain of herself, so confident.  Not only had she been in New York since she was 19 and therefore knew the city like a native, but she was a seasoned traveler; an adventurer. She’d meet the love of her life, Dan, on a boat in South East Asia.

She made me tea; we talked for a long time about our dreams. She was studying to be an acupuncturist after leaving a lucrative corporate life on Wall Street. I had forgotten I had dreams until I sat on her pinstriped sofa with a cup of tea. She showed me the room she had to rent – it was double the size of the room I was subletting and not a mirror in sight.  It even had its own bathroom and a washer dryer we could share.  This was unimaginable luxury.  I emailed Nancy later that evening saying I’d love to rent her room.

So much unfolds from that first evening and conversation on her couch; my decision to apply to graduate school; this blog was born in that basement room.  No more walks home with a stop off at Bloomingdale’s to ride the escalator.  As is true with many things, our friendship took time. I looked back over our emails and in the beginning there are a lot of polite exchanges about Fresh Direct orders.

However, Nancy and I were destined to hit some big milestones together and our friendship grew. A few months after I moved in, Nancy’s boyfriend Dan moved from Denmark; a few months after that my boyfriend Tim moved in too.  We’d gone from two to four. All our relationships deepened and Dan and Nancy got married in May 2006 and Tim and I got married in July, with Nancy in the wedding. Along the way there was Grimaldi’s on the roof and vacations together in Vermont and dinners all over the city; at Capsouto Freres, at Souen, Peter Luger, Relais de Venise, The Vinegar Hill House. The four us grew to six when Nancy and I got pregnant in the same week in 2008 and delivered our sons two days apart in 2009.

I guess I could say I met Nancy and then my life happened.

Ashley June 26, 2012 at 10:09 am

Incredibly touching and well-told, Abbey. What a wonderful portrait of a friendship.

Becca June 26, 2012 at 11:36 am

What a lovely tale! And so lucky for you to be connected just because of a little post on Craigslist!

Katherine June 26, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Abbey, I absolutely loved reading this. It’s so hard to feel connected to NYC, to feel like you have a place. What a difference even one friend can make! You are so, so right.

Paige June 26, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Isn’t it amazing to look back at the trajectory of our lives? You truly never know what is around the corner. Bravo to you for taking chances, being brave, and allowing all those good things to come into your life. This story made me tear up (especially the last line). So amazing.

Stefania @ Revitalize with Stefania June 26, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Aww, this was sooo sweet.

Tokyo Jinja June 26, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Abbey, love this post, it touched such a chord with me, with the exception that I was the leaver to my best friend, who was the stayer. The magic of true friendship is unsurpassed! So good to see you back on your blog too!!

Alana June 26, 2012 at 8:35 pm

What a sweet story 🙂

Nancy June 26, 2012 at 8:49 pm

ABBEY! I’m so lucky to have you as my best friend. I got all weepy reading this. You mean the world to me.

evencleveland June 26, 2012 at 11:55 pm

I think you two were meant to be. What a beautiful story (with more wonderful chapters to come, I bet.)

Abbey June 27, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Thank you thank you for the nice comments! I hadn’t written this to be a tear jerker but I guess it is; I’ve certainly been teary since Nancy left.

Abbey June 27, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Aw Nancy — right back at ya!

Abbey June 27, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Tokyo Jinja I took a break from the blog to get my head more organized — I felt the blog had gotten a little ragged around the edges; but I’m back now and am hopeful to get in a good routine with it. xooxox

CIA @ foldedcranes.com June 28, 2012 at 10:06 am

Just found your blog today. Loving what I see so far. And this story… wow. Seriously, there need to be more friendships in the world like yours and Nancys! It’s so awesome that you value your friendship so much. Living on the other side of the world, far away from my friends back home, in a foreign land which sounds, looks, feels so different from what I’m used to, I can relate to what you shared about how it’s hard to make friends in a new place, it sure takes time. It’s taught me more than ever before the importance of valuing those important in your life where you are from, and where you are now. Thank you again for sharing this beautifully written and heartfelt story.

P.s. There’s a street in Brooklyn called Pineapple Street? Seriously?! I have to get there the next time I am in NYC!

alina June 28, 2012 at 10:34 am

i know that exact feeling of being an outsider in nyc. what a beautiful story and a beautiful friendship! best of luck to both of you!

MLA June 28, 2012 at 10:54 am

I’ve lived here for three years (on east 92nd street, too) and your first six months are like my first three years…and counting. What a beautiful story of friendship. Maybe all good things begin in Brooklyn?

Cate June 28, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Abbey, this is lovely. Isn’t it incredible how one person can be the keystone to your arch? It’s a heartbreaking and wonderful thing at the same time. Much love to you.

Angela June 28, 2012 at 10:44 pm

What a beautiful story.
And I love your red pants 🙂

abbey June 30, 2012 at 11:50 am

MLA — I totally totally know how you feel. And, maybe all good things do begin in Brooklyn…. good luck!

Abbey June 30, 2012 at 11:50 am

Angela — those are my favorite pants, in the world, they are gap from two years ago and they are getting threadbare. so sad.

Kayla @ Exquisite Banana July 2, 2012 at 9:55 pm

So beautifully conveyed, abbey! You two are lucky to have that.

Annie July 3, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Good Lord, I am all weepy reading this. Beautiful friendships make the ‘spices’ in life.

Abbey July 4, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Oh thanks everyone for the sweetest comments I could have ever wanted. Annie, Kayla, Cate — thanks!!!

Paurvi July 10, 2012 at 4:39 am

A beautiful story about a great friendship. I know her moving away is difficult. I met my best friend when her and I were both attending college in California. I ended up staying in California, and she moved back to NYC, and even though we are on different coasts, different time zones, facing every day challenges — the one thing that has remained consistent all of these years is our friendship which I truly treasure.

Natalie July 22, 2012 at 5:38 pm

after seeing you today at hudson’s party i decided to catch up on your blog and i’m so glad i stumbled into this post! about halfway through i realized i was so caught up in this story that i could actually SEE this apartment for myself with my own two eyes! what a beautiful story, and what a beautiful storyteller. thank you for posting this! i adore it!!

hope to see you and alex again sooner than later!
xoxo
natalie (& huck!)

ingrid July 24, 2012 at 11:51 am

wow. such a moving story. exactly what I needed to read this morning. Love it. Good luck to Nancy and her family.

Laura September 6, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Such a sweet story and beautifully written. 🙂

Annie September 7, 2012 at 12:50 am

What a beautiful story! You could write movie script based on that!

Nancy September 24, 2012 at 10:55 pm

I got this in my email inbox a couple more times recently, on days when I felt so grateful for the connection. Love you and our magical friendship. It’s everything.

Mandy December 13, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Hi Abbey,

Thanks so very much for sharing this story. I felt like I had a new start in Brooklyn, too, where good things started happening to me. Also, thank you for your blog — I really enjoy it!

Best wishes,
Mandy

Shoshana April 24, 2015 at 11:33 am

This is actually the measurement that is actually visiting let
you understand just what type of earnings your nearby Search Engine
Optimisation campaign accountables for.

nasal polyps surgery July 15, 2015 at 3:48 pm

If you discover a pain in your nasal polyps surgery or cheek
bone location, combined with a high fever or migraine, you may have an infection.

como hacer fondant July 17, 2015 at 2:41 am

Thanks for every other informative blog.
Where else may I am getting that kind of information written in such an ideal means?
I have a project that I am simply now working on, and I’ve been at the glance out for such information.

la vie d'adèle streaming la vie d'adèle part 2 la vie d'adèle streaming vf la vie d'adèle online la vie d'adèle bande annonce la vie d'adèle – chapitres 1 & 2 la vie d'adèle (2013) la vie d'adèle scene hot la vie d'adèle 3 et 4 la July 19, 2015 at 1:29 am

Write more, thats aall I have t? say. Literally, ?t seems as tho?gh you relied on the
video t? make your point. You obv?ously know what yyoure talking about, why waste your intelligence ?n just post?ng videos to your weblog when you could be giving u?? something enli?htening to r?ad?

Feel free tto surf to mmy page la vie d’adèle streaming la vie d’adèle part 2 la vie d’adèle streaming vf la vie d’adèle online la vie d’adèle bande annonce la vie d’adèle – chapitres 1 & 2 la vie d’adèle (2013) la vie d’adèle scene hot la vie d’adèle 3 et 4 la vie d’adèle watch online la vie d’adèle acteurs la vie d’adèle avis la vie d’adèle actrice la vie d’adèle anglais la vie d’adèle analyse la vie d’adèle abdellatif kechiche la vie d’adèle allociné la vie d’adèle amazon la vie d’adèle anecdotes la vie d’adèle alma jodorowsky a la vie d adele a la vie d’adele online a la vie d’adele download suite a la vie d adèle telecharger la a vie d’adèle la vie d’adèle film la vie d adèle scene hot la vie d’adèle youtube la vie d adèle scene x la vie d’adèle bande annonce vf la vie d adèle blue is the warmest color izle la vie d adèle by abdellatif kechiche la vie d’adèle bordeaux la vie d adèle blue is the warmest color la vie d adele book la vie d adele bucuresti la vie d’adèle bd la vie d’adèle bo b o la vie d adèle b a la vie d’adèle b.o de la vie d’adèle la vie d’adèle critique la vie d’adèle chapitres 1 et 2 la vie d’adèle chapitres 3 et 4 la vie d’adèle chapitre 2 la vie d’adèle citations la vie d’adèle chapitres 1 & 2 streaming la vie d adèle critique négative la vie d adèle chanson la vie d’adele chapitres 1 et 2 la vie d adèle chapitres 1 c’est la vie d’adèle la vie d’adèle streaming c pas bien la vie d’adèle description la vie d’adèle date de sortie la vie d’adèle duree film la vie d’adele dailymotion la vie d’adèle dvd la vie d adèle dvdrip uptobox la vie d adèle durée du film la vie d adèle durée la vie d’adèle deutsch la vie d’adèle la vie d’adèle film streaming la vie d’adèle en streaming la vie d’adèle english la vie d’adèle english subtitles la vie d’adèle en streaming film complet la vie d adele english la vie d adèle extrait hot la vie d adèle en dvd la vie d’adèle en streaming complet la vie d adèle entrées la vie d’adele ek?i la vie d adèle e telecharger la vie d’adèle telecharger la vie d’adèle gratuitement telecharger la vie d’adèle e uptobox la vie d adèle full movie online la vie d adèle filmze la vie d adèle film extrait la vie d adèle film online la vie d’adele fragman la vie d’adèle film streaming vf la vie d adele film izle la vie d’adèle gratuit la vie d’adèle gratuit en entier la vie d’adèle gif la vie d’adèle gratuit en ligne la vie d’adèle greek subs online la vie d adèle gaumont parnasse la vie d adele graphic novel la vie d adele gatineau la vie d’adele guzzo la vie d’adèle grand journal la vie d’adèle hot la vie d’adèle hd la vie d’adèle histoire la vie d’adèle h la vie d’adèle hot video la vie d’adèle hd streaming la vie d’adèle hd stream la vie d’adèle hot scenes la vie d’adèle hang drum la vie d’adèle histoire vraie la vie d’adèle izle la vie d’adèle imdb la vie d adèle in english la vie d adele itunes la vie d’adele izle full la vie d adèle interdit la vie d adèle interview actrices la vie d adèle i follow rivers la vie d adèle inrocks la vie d adele i follow i la vie d adele i follow rivers la vie d adèle i follow you la vie d adèle la vie d’adèle jeremie la vie d’adèle jeremie laheurte la vie d adèle julie maroh la vie d’adèle jérémie laheurte la vie d’adele jeuxvideo la vie d’adele jaquette dvd la vie d’adèle jaquette la vie d’adèle jaquette dvd la vie d’adèle justice la vie d’adèle jeremy j ai vu la vie d adele j’ai vu la vie d’adèle la vie d’adèle kickass la vie d adèle kino deutschland la vie d adèle kino bern la vie d’adèle klaim la vie d’adèle kechiche la vie d adèle kritik la vie d adele kinepolis la vie d adèle kino berlin la vie d’adèle kino münchen la vie d’adèle livre la vie d’adèle le film la vie d’adèle lesbienne la vie d’adèle la fin la vie d’adèle le film streaming la vie d’adèle la suite la vie d’adèle lille la vie d’adèle le cercle la vie d’adèle la boite a question la vie d’adèle love scene univers l la vie d’adèle l express la vie d adèle la vie d’adèle movie la vie d adèle mr skin la vie d adèle mot de passe rar la vie d adele movie online la vie d’adele music la vie d adele movie trailer la vie d adele movie download la vie d adele megavideo la vie d adele movie2k la vie d’adèle musique la vie d’adèle netflix la vie d’adèle nombre d’entrées la vie d’adèle non simulé la vie d adèle nouvel obs la vie d adele netflix la vie d adele novel la vie d adele news la vie d adele new york times la vie d adèle nu la vie d adele nowvideo la vie d adèle online la vie d adele online watch watch la vie dadele online free la vie d adele official trailer la vie d adèle online sub la vie d adèle oscars la vie d adele online gratis o filme la vie d adele baixar o filme la vie d adèle assistir o filme la vie d’adèle online assistir o filme la vie d adèle ver o filme la vie d adèle o filme la vie d’adèle la vie d’adèle partie 2 streaming la vie d’adèle password rar la vie d adèle photos la vie d adèle pelicula completa la vie d adele poster la vie d adele part 1 la vie d adele pdf la vie d adèle prothèse la vie d’adèle paris pour la vie d’adèle une suite pour la vie d’adèle abdellatif kechiche pour la vie d adèle site pour regarder la vie d’adèle nombre d’entrées pour la vie d’adèle palme d or pour la vie d adèle site pour regarder la vie d’adèle en streaming lien pour télécharger la vie d’adèle site pour voir la vie d’adèle la vie d’adèle quel cinéma la vie d’adèle quel age la vie d adèle qui est adele la vie d’adèle quelle ville la vie d’adèle quote la vie d adele quotes la vie d adèle qvod la vie d adèle quimper la vie d adele quelle ville la vie d adèle quand en dvd la vie d’adèle résumé la vie d adèle roman la vie d adele rotten tomatoes la vie d adele release date la vie d adèle regarder streaming la vie d’adèle regarder film gratuit la vie d adele rotterdam la vie d’adèle rar mot de passe la vie d’adèle regarder le film la vie d’adèle regarder film la vie d’adèle scene la vie d’adèle scene x la vie d’adèle soundtrack la vie d adèle sexszene la vie d’adèle streaming gratuit la vie d’adèle subtitles la vie d’adèle sous titré français la vie d’adèle s la vie d’adèle streaming sans s’inscrire la vie d’adèle trailer la vie d’adele tumblr la vie d’adèle télérama la vie d adele trama la vie d’adèle télécharger uptobox la vie d’adèle télécharger dvdrip la vie d’adèle télécharger vf la vie d’adèle telecharger film la vie d’adèle y aura t il une suite la vie d’adèle kinox ou voir la vie d adèle en streaming ou télécharger la vie d’adèle ou trouver la vie d’adèle ou regarder la vie d’adèle streaming gratuit ou passe la vie d’adèle la vie d’adèle vf la vie d’adèle version longue la vie d’adèle vf streaming la vie d’adèle vk streaming la vie d’adèle vod la vie d’adèle vostfr la vie d’adèle video hot la vie d’adèle video scene x la vie d’adèle vrai scene la vie d’adèle vf complet la vie d’adèle wiki la vie d adèle workprint la vie d adèle webrip la vie d adèle wawa mania la vie d adèle where can i watch la vie d’adèle wilside la vie d adele watch online subtitles la vie d adèle wild bunch la vie d adèle wien kino la vie d’adèle x la vie d’adèle x scene la vie d’adèle x264 la vie d adele x la_vie_en_rose _dvdrip_xvid.avi la vie d’adèle scene x youtube la vie d’adèle extrait x la vie d’adèle scène x la vie d’adèle scene x extrait la vie d’adèle scène x vidéo x la vie d’adele scene x la vie d adèle scene x la vie d’adele video la vie d adèle x scene x dans la vie d’adèle la vie d’adèle scènes x streaming la vie d’adèle youwatch vf la vie d’adèle youtube scene la vie d’adele youtube la vie d adèle youtube trailer la vie d adèle yt la vie d’adèle youtube extrait la vie d’adèle youtube scene hot la vie d’adèle youtube film la vie d’adèle youtube musique la vie d’adèle zone telechargement la vie d’adèle zippy la vie d adele zetaboards la vie d’adele zwolle la vie d adele zalukaj la vie d’adele zeit la vie d adèle zone la vie d’adèle zusammenfassung la vie d adèle le zèle du désir la vie d’adèle dvdrip zone la vie d’adèle 1 streaming la vie d’adèle 1 streaming vf la vie d’adèle 1080p la vie d’adèle 1 la vie d’adèle 1fichier la vie d adele 1channel la vie d adèle 1 et 2 la vie d’adèle 1080p download la vie d adèle chapitres 1 et 2 download chapitre 1 la vie d’adele la vie d adèle chapitres 1 et 2 online la vie d’adèle 2 la vie d’adèle (2013) watch la vie d adele 2013 dvdrip la vie d adèle 2013 subtitles la vie d adèle 2013 online la vie d adèle 2013 izle la vie d adèle 2013 download la vie d adèle 2013 french dvdrip la vie d adèle chapitres 2 la vie d adèle partie 2 la vie d’adèle 33 la vie d adele chapter 3 la vie d adèle partie 3 la vie d adèle ted sifflera 3 fois la vie d’adèle extrait 3 la vie d’adèle chapitre 3 livre la vie d adèle chap 3 la vie d’adèle chapitre 3 streaming la vie d adèle 3 et 4 la vie d adèle 3 la vie d adèle chapter 3 la vie d adèle chapitre 3 4 extrait 3 la vie d’adèle la vie d’adèle 411 la vie d adèle 400 coups angers la vie d’adele chapitres 3 4 la vie d adele chapitres 3 et 4 password for la vie d adele chapitre 3 et 4 la vie d adèle la vie d adele 69 la vie d adèle 69 la vie d’adèle streaming 66 la vie d’adèle 720p la vie d’adèle 720p uptobox la vie d’adèle 720p uploaded la vie d’adèle 7 à 8 la vie d’adèle 720p streaming la vie d’adèle 720p 1fichier la vie d’adèle 77 la vie d’adèle 720p ddl la vie d’adèle 7 la vie d’adèle dock 76 7 à 8 la vie d’adèle la vie d’adèle 9divx la vie d’adèle 9 octobre la vie d’adèle 92 la vie d’adele 1080p uptobox la.vie.d’adèle.movie.french.2013.bluray 1080p x264-nesmeured

werbung buchen July 20, 2015 at 9:50 am

Useful information. Fortunate me I discovered your website
by accident, and I am stunned why this twist of fate did not came
about earlier! I bookmarked it.

selling a car in colorado July 21, 2015 at 2:52 am

I just like the helpful info you provide to
your articles. I’ll bookmark your weblog and check
once more right here frequently. I am rather sure I will be informed plenty of new stuff proper right here!
Good luck for the next!

Simone July 23, 2015 at 4:00 am

This is not the right answer for everyone but many of the
poker players would be agred on it. There are a lot of places which are hosting poker events because of their
popularity. Keep in mind that hile poer is great fun, many people get completely out of control while playing.

custom design t shirts August 13, 2015 at 1:42 am

Hi there friends, its enormous piece of writing on the topic of teachingand completely defined,
keep it up all the time.

Sheila September 6, 2015 at 12:12 pm

Circuit Training is one of the best exercises you can do to
develop muscle mass and also lose fat quickly.

tips turun berat badan September 8, 2015 at 8:07 pm

Really when someone doesn’t understand after that its up to other people that they will help, so here it happens.