Neon Soles

January 15, 2012

A little note: This post has stirred the pot of my personal peanut gallery.  I got no less than three phone calls from friends and family wanting to register their distaste for these shoes (a little known fact about my peanut gallery .. they are loth to leave comments…). One went so far as to say “I can’t stand any shoe that laces up!” which I must admit, shocked me … I mean, lace up shoes!!!  LOL.

Loving these neon soled oxfords from Jil Sander ($745).  However, isn’t this screaming for a DIY application?  Shoes found via Pennyweight.

Spray paint or leather paint?  I wonder.

These oxfords are on sale at Urban Outfitters for $30 ….

Michelle January 15, 2012 at 10:13 am

Nice one Abbey!

Peggy January 16, 2012 at 12:47 am

I am trying to comprehend $745 for these shoes!!!???…..even if I didn’t have a money care in the world?…..so the DIY will work for me!!……I do love the shoes……

gail January 16, 2012 at 10:50 am

I tried this, with a pair of royal blue leather oxfords that had a white rubber sole. I painted the sole charcoal, bought a special tube of acrylic paint for the project. They looked absolutely great until I actually wore them outside the house for any length of time. The paint chipped off, leaving a kind of pinto effect. I didn’t give up, but kept retouching, to no avail. Not sure what to do now, the shoes look kinda terrible. They’re put away until the spring, I’ll probably sand/scrub off the charcoal.

Tate January 19, 2012 at 12:27 pm

I bet there’s a fixatif you could spray over the spray paint to prevent chipping. I’m sure Courtney will try this and I’ll be stuck with the fumes. Sigh. 🙂

Courtney January 19, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Abbey, let’s get together and do this at our house and Tate can go babysit Alex and your fume-free abode 😉

Abbey January 19, 2012 at 12:47 pm

ha ha ha! I love it! I will come over and we can paint shoes to our hearts content! xooxxo to both of you.

Morgan Smith January 20, 2012 at 6:15 pm

It’s screaming – do it! Cant wait to see the results – love tan and neon anything.

christina nova January 26, 2012 at 11:29 pm

I’m glad to hear that there are others that don’t like lace up shoes. Wait till your pregnant of fat and then you’ll see or not.

BMerry February 2, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I’ve experienced the flaky shoe paint before. So the last time I painted shoes, I used a spray can of plastic primer, a spray paint, then a spray can of sealant. No flaking! I think you could probably achieve the same result without spray paint, but you will need a primer and a sealer.

Courtney February 10, 2012 at 1:15 pm
Courtney February 10, 2012 at 1:31 pm

i like these with the blue better… but still i think our DIY would be better.

Emily April 10, 2012 at 11:02 am

Brilliant! I HAVE seen these in stores and almost bought a pair. The neon looks so cool.