Fighting Winter Blues with Advent Planning

November 14, 2011

As the dark afternoons start to get me down I turn to two things; buying amaryllis plants (I love watching them grow and bloom in this darkest season) and planning my advent calendars.  Before I had a kiddo I’d make them for all the ladies in my life.  Now, Alex is the sole beneficiary of my Advent love.  Last year I made an advent calendar from stripped paper bags from In The Clear — Alex loved it (so did Martha Stewart!).  I’m gearing up to do it again this year.  The hardest part is finding cheap toys — last year I scored at a used toy sale in Westchester.  This year I’m going to use stickers and some Etsy finds plus some small $1 toys from my favorite West Side Kids.

If Alex was a little older, Garnet Hill sells a set of 25 stocking stuffers that would be perfect for this project for $36.

I saw this awesome Star Wars themed Advent Calendar and thought of an older kid I know who would love this!

Hannah November 14, 2011 at 5:15 pm

my mom put candy in the advent calender and every morning my sisters and i would race to it. : )

Melissa@Julia's Bookbag November 14, 2011 at 9:57 pm

This is so great!!! I LOVE ADVENT CALENDARS!!! It is so that time, isn’t it — I just did a big ol’ advent roundup, go see! http://www.juliasbookbag.com/2011/11/advent-adventure.html

Those Lego Star Wars advent toys are too fantastic! I know some totally Star Wars crazed little boys who would lose their minds over those, I’ll have to let their mothers know…

S&C November 14, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Love! Mine is almost 2 and we are so excited because he is starting to get it. We have a box advent that I’m going to fill with cheap Walgreens knick-knacks. Can’t wait!

Bridget November 15, 2011 at 9:51 am

I definitely bought the Star Wars calender for my little brother…he is turning 17, but you know, Legos are forever. :)

Actual Christmas ornaments, or the means to do a Christmas craft are another idea of things to put in an advent calender. Socks are a personal favorite as well. So are Barbie outfits, and things that correspond to something you’ll do that day (maybe go drive around looking at Christmas lights, or watch the Charlie Brown Christmas movie).

The Lil Bee November 21, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I loved it then and I love it now. I might actually get around to doing my own this year. Might.

Love Alex in this pic! xo

Camilla December 3, 2011 at 11:14 pm

This is so great. Have always loved this!!!

Marcela December 8, 2011 at 9:52 am

Thanks for introducing me to the Lego advent calendar! Your calendar is the funnest…