Inspiration in Orange

December 15, 2009

Picture 19

Orange is going to my color in 2010. I really want this and this as a start.  I’ve been rocking red (see: glassesclogs, computer cases) for a decade and just feel the winds of change blowing.  Proof point: instead of red amaryllis, this year I busted out kumquat and oranges arrangements for our tree trimming party this past weekend.  See my inspiration, above, from Martha Stewart Living a few years back and my own arrangement below.  The arrangement cost about $25 — I bought the kumquats at my local deli for $20 (and yes, one of the joys of NYC is being able to buy kumquats at your local deli), and the apothecary jars were $10 each at TJ Maxx.  If you don’t have a TJMaxx handy you can buy these apothecary jars for $27 each.   I snipped some pine off my tree to use as greenery (the Martha folks used eucalyptus) and like how it looks.

Picture 20

Ashley December 16, 2009 at 2:19 am

Your version is even lovelier! The glass jars are particularly beautiful. I’m definitely feeling inspired to try out some new holiday-color-alternatives; thank you!

–Ashley (www.hitherandthither.net)

evencleveland December 16, 2009 at 8:00 am

These look fantastic – and the jars came from the Maxx?! Good ol’ TJ Maxx. What did we ever do without it?

Brandi December 16, 2009 at 10:02 am

I love these. Citrus is actually a big tradition in our house — my mother stuffs the stockings with tangerines and nuts every year. Her father started it and she kept it up after he passed away. Something like this would be perfect for holiday decorations at my place in San Diego…

Anna/quilted giraffe December 16, 2009 at 10:25 am

Oh, so pretty! I love those arrangements. Which TJ Maxx did you go to? The new one on 98th and Columbus? If so, I might swing by and see if they have some left– you’ve inspired me!

The Lil Bee December 16, 2009 at 10:35 am

SO pretty, Abbey! Ugh…I’m so sad I missed it!!

Melissa December 17, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Lovely! I love orange and have been a huge fan of the color since I was young. And the glass jars at TJ Maxx are my favorite buy. You can’t beat those prices.

please sir December 17, 2009 at 4:14 pm

What a neat idea…love the orange and my flowers…thank you!!!!

Michelle December 19, 2009 at 1:18 am

I love that you have an inspiration color for 2010, I think mine is going to be magenta!

Erin January 6, 2010 at 3:25 pm

So creative and simple! I wish I had seen this earlier and I would have done this during the holidays. Any suggestions for a similar arrangement for January/February? I have a TJ Maxx in DC so I could get the apothecary jars. Should I stick with the oranges for fillers?