Carpeting the kitchen?

March 24, 2009

Kitchen Inspiration

Our kitchen has dirty white UGLY tiles that date to its 1980s renovation.  I’d love to cover them with some wall to wall carpeting which I know at first sounds like a terrible idea — carpet in the kitchen?  However, I love this image for Domino featuring navy blue carpet. I’ve been thinking about using faux sisal (basically a polyester rug) but cut to fit like wall to wall since one of my least favorite things (after ugly tile) is rugs that slip.

I like this example above (although I think I like navy more).  You can find more faux sisal here where it costs $8.70 a square foot.

Lynne, Tea for Joy March 24, 2009 at 5:17 am

I’m not too keen on carpet in the kitchen – but, I think it would be a good move for baby coming along. It can’t be too pleasant for a child to fall on hard tiles. I loved that Domino room too – Julianne Moore did a great job.

Amanda March 24, 2009 at 8:24 am

My only suggestion is this: Do your very best not to spill raw eggs on the carpet. They are icky to clean up.

Otherwise, enjoy warm happy feet in the morning!

michelle Parks McCourt March 24, 2009 at 8:26 am

My first thought was carpet in the kitchen?! but these images are lovely. The sisal is fantastic, my mum has done this with her kitchen. easy to clean too!

MFaMB March 24, 2009 at 8:32 am

oh, well…you know…the picture with the blue carpet is very lovely and i think your idea of an indoor/outdoor rug is great, but even if you DID get the easy-to-clean one i still think it would be a pain if you spilled a lot. at the end of the day a bare floor is MUCH easier to wipe up than to try to get food out of the cracks and crevices of a faux sisal rug. that said, how often to you cook? maybe having pretty carpet tiles in the kitchen would make you more careful?

kate March 24, 2009 at 8:45 am

carpet in the kitchen reminds me of my childhood! we had the most horrid ’70s carpet that was gold and yellow – very Brady Bunch. But I too have hideous, hideous tile in my kitchen. I’d love something to hide it, like this.

Amy@OldSweetSong March 24, 2009 at 9:04 am

I love this idea! Nothing worse than ugly tile and it should be covered ASAP.

brooke rane March 24, 2009 at 10:17 am

though you may already know of them, we love FLOR tiles and they’re super easy to clean and cut to fit your space…

Emme March 24, 2009 at 10:22 am

Area rug or runner? Or bamboo mats? Somehow carpet in the kitchen sounds like a fate worse than fluorescent lighting!!

Liz@VioletPosy March 24, 2009 at 10:55 am

I like the images, but totally impractical to live with. I’m not a fan of tile either especially with little ones, try wood or laminate instead much easier to clean. Trust me it’s amazing how much food a toddler can get on the floor…walls….ceiling ;)

Mouse March 24, 2009 at 11:43 am

Wow, daring! I like the idea, though. Sounds like it will make for a warm and comfy kitchen, unmarred by lame eighties tile.

Jamie March 24, 2009 at 11:51 am

just saw that first image in domino’s may 2008 magazine! (just found a stray copy at the library) I like the second image, although not a fan of carpeting- tear it up and put something good down!

valerie March 24, 2009 at 3:46 pm

ohh this is a tough call. it looks so pretty, but is it practical…spills would be the pits.

H March 25, 2009 at 2:01 am

The blue carpet looks lovely, but I’d worry about the hygiene factor… it’s easy to spray and wipe up a tile floor after you dripped raw chicken from the fridge to the bench, but imagine trying to eliminate all the bacteria that’s soaked into carpet before your toddler can get acquainted with it. Worse still, carpet might mask germy stains… which would be secretly wonderful if it wasn’t baby territory.

Grover March 25, 2009 at 8:46 am

The pics are great – but in reality it would take about 3 1/2 days before my kitchen floor looked like the floor of a trainstation bathroom. Could you imagine trying to get wet flour (basically glue) out of sisal? Worry over keeping my kitchen floor clean would permeate my dreams…

Leslie March 25, 2009 at 10:01 am

Hmmm…I like the pics but agree with others above that you might have a housekeeping issue. My kitchen favorite is cork tiles…I’d give an eye tooth to be able to redo our kitchen with them.

Anne @ The City Sage March 25, 2009 at 3:26 pm

I don’t even consider sisal to really be carpet—it’s so much cooler! And the navy is really neat. I say go for it!

joanna goddard March 25, 2009 at 3:43 pm

yes, a tough call….i am terrible with these things but i wanted to say hi anyway :)

Kate March 25, 2009 at 9:57 pm

Hmm, Abbey, I’ve got to join the worried chorus! I know how much mess I make on floorboards – would you be cursing your sisal in a few weeks?

Maybe you could have (and I know this sounds ridiculous) a plastic mat that you could use as a drop sheet if you were doing intricate baking, or something? And then remove dropsheet to reveal shiny sisal when you were done?!

I can’t believe how much that comment makes me look a lot uncooler than I had hoped :)

Liza Z. March 25, 2009 at 10:28 pm

I just moved into a new apt. where the floor in the small kitchen is not quite as stable as I’d like so I got a fairly large area rug at Ikea to cushion it and it’s great. I also put a lamp in there and it is so cute in there now.

Abbey March 25, 2009 at 10:57 pm

Thanks for all the good thoughts ladies! I’m on the fence myself — we’re in a rental, so I can’t put anything like flooring down (in my real someday house). Then, I don’t want to spend a ton of money — FLOR is probably too expensive. Right now I’m wondering if maybe I should do tile decals? I want to do something with the tile, or the whole kitchen will be dirty dirty white. I cook CONSTANTLY but don’t spill that much, but it does get yucky around the stove. I could do rug on rug, but then it starts to get expensive and sort of insane… stay tuned! I appreciate all the suggestions!

The Lil Bee March 26, 2009 at 11:25 am

Very chic looking. The only thing I’d be worried about though is a little bambino dropping food on that pretty carpet. Much easier to clean tiles than stains on a rug!!

AmyA March 26, 2009 at 12:41 pm

Hey Abbey! Have you checked craiglist and ebay for FLOR tiles? sometimes you can find a batch that have been lightly used… I also love these Swedish mats from Abitare, but they’re a bit expensive

hav May 26, 2009 at 6:42 pm

Hi! I know I’m late to comment on this, but I have very fond memories of a carpeted kitchen and just had to share :) For as long as I can remember, my childhood home had dark green carpeting, and the only time I ever remember it being troublesome is when the dogs would lick/chew holes in it :). I definitely think FLOR would be great in a kitchen, but any dark, sturdy carpet should do well – a kitchen is a great place for sitting on the floor and relaxing!

carol czack February 27, 2013 at 5:06 pm

I’ve had kitchen carpeting for 25 years, and I love it. Look for dense carpet; kind of a tweed and on the dark side. Most spills, if caught soon, don’t even get into the carpet, and the vacuum is soo easy. Just make sure you don’t spill hot stuff on it. It will burn and leave a gouge where it lands. You should hire a pro to clean it once a year, but that’s all the care it needs. I’m getting ready to replace it — with wall-to-wall carpet again. It’s warm and stays surprisingly clean.

B.J.LESTON February 4, 2014 at 4:45 pm

I HAD KITCHEN CARPET IN MY HOME FOR 25 YEARS…A CUT WOOD PATTERN BY ARMSTRONG…HELD UP GREAT..I DECIDED TO REDO KITCHEN..HAD OLD TAKEN UP…AND THEY HAD DISCONTINUED KITCHEN CARPET..HAD A COMMERCIAL CARPET PUT IN AND IN 1 YEAR IT LOOKED AWFUL HARD TO CLEAN…WISHING I HAD MY OLD BACK…WAS EASY TO CLEAN AND DID NOT STAIN EASILY..GREASE CLEANED UP LIKE A BREEZE.. JUST WANTED SOMETHING NEW OR WOULD NOT HAVE REPLACED IT…MY FAULT FOR NOT DOUBLE CHECKING ABOUT KITCHEN CARPET 25 YRS LATER..DO NOT LIKE THE WOOD PLANKS OR CERAMIC TILE….ANY CARPET COMPANY HAVE GOOD KITCHEN CARPET..THESE NEEDS TO BE BROUGHT BACK////

design All terrain sandal March 18, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Good day! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to give
a quick shout out and tell you I genuinely enjoy reading through
your blog posts. Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that go over the same topics?
Thanks a lot!

homeandgarden kitchen April 7, 2014 at 11:52 pm

Great post. I was checking continuously this blog and I’m impressed!
Very useful information specially the last part :) I care
for such info much. I was looking for this certain information for a very long time.
Thank you and best of luck.

Pamela April 10, 2014 at 2:18 am

Great web site you have got here.. It’s difficult to find good
quality writing like yours nowadays. I truly appreciate people like you!
Take care!!

Laura April 13, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Found great apt. after searching a year, gasp! Wall to wall capet in kitchen and bath, all other rooms as well, kitchen and bath? My heart sunk, the landlord would not consider removing it, well he doesn’t have to live there! I’m still not over the thought of it, oh well, back to searching.